6.29.2016

YouTube: Every Frame a Painting and Nerdwriter1

Those are two different, er, channels I guess? I don't spend a lot of time on YouTube, so I'm not savvy. But for film lovers, I can recommend looking into these two.

Every Frame a Painting looks at film techniques. As it's helmed by a film editor, most of the discussions are about the visual, like tracking shots. He also looks at certain actors and directors; if you like Edgar Wright, check out the episode about how the editing in his movies adds to the visual comedy. Overall, there is a teaching tone to this . . . series or whatever it is. Film students might find it particularly insightful. (I have a film degree but did no practical work, by which I mean I did not take camera or editing courses.)

Nerdwriter1 has a variety of things, including case studies of various movies like The Prestige and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I can also recommend his look at Neil Gaiman's Sandman, in which he focuses on the use of Shakespeare. His stuff is broader is scope than Every Frame and may have wider appeal, but both are good, even for people not coming from a film background.

No comments: