9.07.2016

IWSG

Crossposted from PepperWords.

 If you want to know what I'm feeling insecure about, please take a look at my post on pre-conference jitters—and then share any advice you might have! In less than a month now I'll be attending my first conference as a guest author. The panels don't worry me; it's handling my first signing table that's giving me the shakes. Safety in numbers, though, or so I keep telling myself. (But what if I'm a bust and no one comes to my table? my inner voice keeps wailing.)

I'm also a little nervous about upcoming reviews of Manifesting Destiny which are due out tomorrow and on the 23rd. Hope the reviewers like the book. And if YOU happen to be a reviewer and interested in reading MD, please let me know and we'll work out a way to get you a copy.

Okay, question of the month is: How do you find the time to write in your busy day?

Well, for one thing I'm very fortunate in that writing is my day job. I pack the kids off to school, take my morning walk, then come home and (ostensibly) write. That's not to say I don't have a dozen other things to distract me: laundry, dishes, trips to the store, other errands, appointments, etc. I try to keep all those to one or two days a week so that at least three days are clear for several hours of writing. Doesn't always work that way, and laundry and dishes are a daily thing, but if I don't schedule myself well, I feel like I'm wasting this wonderful opportunity of being home and "being a writer." I want it to be a job, not a hobby. And I remind myself that if I ever want to see the results I crave, I have to take it seriously. Same as exercise. I don't always love working out, and I don't always love writing, but I dislike myself even more if I don't do them.

Join in the fun by visiting other writers' IWSG posts here.

1 comment:

Roland D. Yeomans said...

People at your table want to like you; they really do. I have done author tables for a few years now. Most will want tips on how to write. If you pay attention to them and make them feel heard, they will be your fans for life. I wish you the best at your author's table. Reviewers are only human. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, CASABLANCA were scoffed at by many critics. We must believe in ourselves. Our way of writing has worth even if it is not appreciated at the moment. :-)