12.04.2017

Television: The Orville, "Into the Fold"

Come on now. These writers are just super lazy. They're not building any kind of futuristic atmosphere for viewers. I mean, people are still using "crap" and "bitch" as swear words? Uh-uh. I don't buy it, any more than I buy that they're still watching Seinfeld and making remarks about Justin Bieber. I mean, I would believe it in small doses, but every freakin' reference is to something from our era. It's too obvious and therefore does not work at all.

Also, this episode was boring. While I appreciate giving ensemble characters their own stories, I didn't like this one. Dr. Finn and her two sons go on vacation, and Isaac invites himself along. It could have been hilarious, but instead the writers tried to drama it up with a crash, etc. And while I get that Isaac becomes a kind of unwitting father figure (that part of the show was pretty good), I feel like they could have done more with it. Some humor to punctuate things wouldn't have hurt.

And is Dr. Finn just a terrible doctor? Yelling "breathe!" at someone who can't breathe isn't helpful. Scanning them with your tricorder thingy for the millionth time is also not helpful. Does she not know how to aspirate someone? That feels very basic. I mean, I can't do it, but I'm not a doctor, and yet I at least know enough to know that's what you need to do under those circumstances.

Anyway, I didn't like this one. But I didn't like every episode of Next Gen, either, so . . . ::shrug:: Can't win 'em all. I clearly don't like the show enough to actually keep up with it either. But it's still beating the most recent season of Doctor Who, of which I've only watched three. So that's something, I guess.

No comments: