11.04.2012

Lewis Black: In God We Rust

One has to admire, I suppose, the time and energy Black devotes to being pissed off all the time. It has to be exhausting. In fact, for this particular outing, Black shows far less of his typical rancor. So maybe he's tuckered himself out.

I've seen Black perform live twice, both times in Boston, and this was some years ago (early naughts). I remember him being funnier than In God We Rust (of which I viewed the recorded version). Maybe he had more to be angry about back then, more material handy. President Bush sure did offer a lot of opportunity.

As it is, In God We Rust is somewhat misleading as a title, since Black doesn't talk about religion at all. (He's leaving that to Bill Mahr.) A lot of the routine is given over to discussion of airport security. And there's a fair bit about the economy, and Facebook, and Farmville. The best bit, though, is about mobile phones. Despite his protestations, Black spent a goodly amount of time fiddling with and fondling his phone during this part of the show, to the point I began to wonder whether he had an app with his routine on it, or maybe it was just in the Notes.

And Apple stores. Black's description of them as being otherworldly is spot on, and he gives a plausible excuse for why the employees stand so close when they're talking to you. (He did not, however, explain why the male employees insist on assuming I know nothing about electronics or technology. I have to say, though, that I'm kind of glad of that because I enjoy the looks of surprise when I begin speaking knowledgeably about my various Mac products.)

Still and all, on the whole this particular stand-up outing by Black is weak. I'm used to stronger coffee; here I feel like I've been offered the cold dregs. And kazoos. Lots and lots of kazoos.

No comments: