5.24.2013

Television: Fall 2013

So I'm finally getting around to looking at the schedule, and . . . Hmm.

I'll go by weekday. And I'm just looking at the networks here, you know, on the heels of their upfronts and such.

Monday

I know a lot of people are interested in this Almost Human show (FOX), but I don't really care about it. I mean, I like Karl Urban . . . But I'm already sick of J.J. Abrams. And the premise here doesn't interest me enough. But, like anything, it's quite possible I'll be told many time over it's so great and I have to see it. (Actually, if there's any way to ensure I don't watch something, it's to tell me it's so great and I have to see it. I'm contrary that way. I'm like, "Let me just prove to you that I can live forever and never see that.")

What I am interested in on Mondays this fall: Sleepy Hollow (FOX) and The Blacklist (NBC). While I feel like modern updates of old stories is starting to be gruesomely trendy, I'm curious enough to try Sleepy Hollow. And as for Blacklist, well, I'll watch James Spader in anything. Seriously. There's something mesmerizing about him.

Tuesday

It's all about Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (ABC), right? I will take Joss over J.J. pretty much every time. Other than that, I can't say I'm seeing anything on the schedule that lights my fire.

Wednesday

Well, here's where NBC has put Revolution, and they've moved it to 8:00. I still haven't decided if I'll be watching; Revolution mostly makes me miss FlashForward, which was just so much better.

Thursday

Elementary (CBS) stays put in its 10:00 time slot. Also on CBS, airing at 9:00, The Crazy Ones. I'm curious about this one. The casting of Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar intrigues me. I'll probably give it a shot.

Michael J. Fox's new show (NBC, 9:30) is another one I'm likely to try. And what is this Reign show on CW?

Friday

I gave up on Grimm a while back (lost track of it in a cross-country move and didn't care quite enough to catch up), but Friday sees it followed on NBC by a new Dracula starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Unlike so many of the updates, this one is set in the 18th century. Seems like a natural companion to Grimm, and I might have a look, though vampires are easy to do badly, so this may, er . . . suck.

Other Possibilities

Okay, so I see a write-up for The Goldbergs and how it's about an 11-year-old boy in the 1980s. That has some nostalgia factor for me, I could give it a try (Tuesdays, ABC, directly after SHIELD).

And there's Hostages, which sounds intense in a 24 kind of way, but I don't know if I care enough to spend any time with it (CBS, Mondays).

I'm also curious about About a Boy (more 11-year-old boys, is that a new trend?), though it doesn't appear on the schedule at the moment. But I'm a fan of Hornby and I liked the movie . . . Will probably give it a go when it airs. Resurrection, too, sounds potentially creepy (in a good way), so I'll be looking for more on that when it comes out. And of course M Night's Whispering Pines. He may have lost some cachet, and I really hated Lady in the Water (like, hated in the way that it makes me angry to even think about the fact that movie exists), but I'm still game to try out anything else he does.

Looks like I'm leaning drama this season, which isn't surprising, though I'd love to find a show that could really make me laugh. Modern Family did it for a while, but I don't even watch it any more because it was getting less and less funny. I miss the absurdity of 30 Rock. And will have to wait until spring for more Community. Sigh.

What about you? What are you looking forward to come fall? And can you recommend something that will make me laugh?

No comments: