3.11.2016

Television: American Crime Story: The People vs O.J. Simpson

I don't even know where I left off with this; it all just blurs together. As I've mentioned before, there's something so . . . It's like a mashup of daytime television and Cops. One big re-enactment done with all the earnest, over-the-top-ness of the re-enactments you see on those crime shows.

The trial is taking place now, and it's taking a toll on everyone's personal lives. Marcia's ex-husband is lobbying to take custody of the kids because she's never home. She's being attacked in the media for her looks. Johnny [Cochran] is likewise trying to keep his personal life out of the media spotlight. Meanwhile, he and F. Lee Bailey continue to snipe with Bob Shapiro as well.

I'm not even sure what is compelling me to watch this. The trial itself isn't terribly interesting; they haven't gotten meaty with it. Instead the focus seems to be more on the characters than the story. O.J. himself is hardly there at all.

Well, whatever. Despite the heavy tone, this is light fare that does not require me to spend a lot of energy on watching it. Sometimes that's all I'm looking for.

No comments: