12.07.2012

Ballot Season

I have Variety's little calendar of awards season on my desk to tell me when nominations and ballots are due for the bazillion awards that will be handed out over the next couple of months. It doesn't do me any good, though, because I don't have an actual calendar in my office, so I never know what day it is. I feel about Tuesday the way Eddie Izzard does in that bit about the Sea of Tranquility. "Tuesday? Is this Tuesday?" (If you don't know what I mean, you've just dropped by a significant amount in my estimation.)

I got a ballot in the mail the other day (don't ask because I'm not telling), except not really because it told me to go vote online. OR, if I didn't want to do that, I had to mail back something that told them to send me an actual ballot. Look, it's already a crazy system, folks, why are you giving me more steps? (Well, not "me" because I'll do the online thing, but I know a lot of people would rather not; asking some of them to create or remember a login is too much.) And at this time of year, when there's already a million other things going on . . . I've got a huge list of films to see . . . Oh, and there are holidays. Remember those?

Speaking of which, I have a party to get to. Ballot will have to wait.

No comments: