11.08.2014

Television: Constantine, "The Devil's Vinyl"

While marginally better than last week's episode about the miners, I think I'm more or less finished with this show.

The plot was kind of interesting, if trite, in that it dealt with a recording that drove anyone who listened to it into a fatal frenzy. The story (as it ever is) was one of a blues artist who'd sold his soul to the devil and had to pay the bill on that transaction while recording the deadly album.

My chief problem with the show, though, is that the whole tone is off. I don't know if it's the writing, the directing, the acting, or some combination therein, but it fails to jibe. (I did like the Voodoo priest, thought he could be a fun long-standing character, though I get sick of Voodoo being treated as an evil.)

At the end of the day, despite the somewhat engaging plot, I found I couldn't give the show my full attention. I can't like any of the characters enough to want to spend an hour with them each week.

No comments: