11.04.2014

Television: Gotham, "Penguin's Umbrella"

There's a fine line between enjoying watching the underdog good guy overcome the odds and win and feeling bogged down by those seemingly insurmountable odds. For me, watching Jim Gordon being hunted while the police force scatters—that was the point where I felt too bogged down. There was just too much stacked against him.

To be fair, the writers made sure to shift things in a timely fashion by having Crispus and Renee rescue Gordon and then having Bullock also return to his partner's side. It's small, but it's a start, I suppose.

Worse still than seeing Gordon up against pretty much everything and everybody was the fact that Barbara made such a boneheaded move. "I was trying to help," she tells Gordon, and I just want to groan. That's not helping, that's dumbing. Being an idiot is never helpful. Really, as her character currently stands, I cannot like Barbara in the least. The writers need to give her better definition and more purpose than being (a) stupid, and (b) Gordon's chief vulnerability. Oh, and (c) an emotional pulse point for Gordon that is barely beating because there is zero chemistry in that relationship.

There's actually more chemistry between Penguin and Gordon, and I'm sure there's already a ton of fan fiction out there about that. Seriously, does Penguin have a tiny crush on Gordon or something? That sure would make the show more interesting.

While I don't love all the mob stuff, it is impressive to watch Penguin work. I still feel as if I could take or leave this show—like, if I quit watching, I wouldn't wonder in a few weeks what ever happened. There's a lot of potential here, and I'm waiting to see if it blooms. In the meantime, I'll just sit in the garden and relax.

1 comment:

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Barbara is an idiot in the show, I completely agree. Penguin is so much fun to watch and I actually enjoy the mob stuff and Gordon having so much stacked against. What pushed my level of incredulity was episode with The Goat. That psychiatrist is one evil nut case. On of my fave characters though is Fish Mooney, she is so calculating and devious. Oh and Barbara and Gordon have chemistry to me but her actions on Monday's show made me want to punch her in the face. Dumbing is an understatement. Plus her nerve to give Gordon ultimatums in past episodes when she's not so innocent herself.

Anyway as you can see...I'm very into this show. I had wanted a series that focused on the city of Gotham for a long time and finally got my wish.